GT Stewart Ltd are seeking applications from candidates for training contracts starting in October 2022. Candidates will specify whether they seek a training contract that is focused on a criminal or civil pathway, and where possible we will place successful candidates in their preferred departments during the course of the training contract. The firm has departments in the following areas of law and further information can be found on our website at https://gtstewart.co.uk:
- Criminal defence
- Criminal appeals
- Prison law
- Actions against the police, civil liberties and inquests
- Family law
- Housing law
- Mental health law and Court of Protection
- Community care
- Personal injury
We have offices across the UK and we will be offering training contracts at our offices in London, Kent, Leeds and Birmingham. Candidates should note that training contracts in our civil departments will be predominantly based in our London offices.
Candidates should have the following:
- Good academic qualifications including a degree, GDL (where appropriate) and LPC.
- Relevant experience of the area of law that they are applying to specialise in.
- A commitment to publicly funded work.
- Candidates for the criminal pathway will be at an advantage if they have obtained police station accreditation.
As part of the application, candidates should draft a covering letter (max. 1,000 words) which should address the following areas:
- Whether they are applying for a training contract focused on a criminal or civil pathway, and why.
- Why they are applying to GT Stewart and the office that they are applying to work at.
- The skills/competencies that they have obtained through experience which would make them a good trainee solicitor, which might include any of the following:
- Communicating effectively with others
- Working under pressure
- Effectively organising/prioritising work
- Why they wish to work at a firm that specialises in publicly funded work.
- Candidates may wish to provide examples of their previous relevant experience within their covering letter.
Candidates should send a copy of their CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 5pm on Monday 6th June 2022. We intend to notify those candidates that have been shortlisted for interview by Friday 17th June 2022, with interviews taking place in the weeks beginning 11th and 18th July 2022.